November 28, 2012

The Gravesite of Henry William Lockerman

Stories of African American Civil War soldiers and sailors extend to the west as well. Near a Civil War Memorial in Carson City, Nevada, rests Henry William Lockerman now buried in the Lone Mountain Cemetery.  Cindy Southerland, Museum Archivist and Curator was gracious enough to share the information she has with me.



Born October 4, 1840, Lockerman served in the 79 U.S. Colored Infantry as a private. After the war, he became a barber and moved to Grantsville, Nevada. He later moved to Silver City, Nevada where he died October 27, 1904 at the age of 64.



"My name is Henry William Lockerman. I was born in Cleveland, Cyuahoga County, Ohio. I was born on the 4th of October 1940. I enlisted on the 10th day of July 1862, at Wierdott, Kansas. Occupation Baber. My height was I think 6 feet when I was enlisted. My complexion Black. Color of Hair Black Eyes Dark Brown. I did not have any marks or scars on my person at that time. My discharge papers were burnt in a fire some years ago." This statement was hand written by Lockerman for his pension claim in his General Affidavit on January 26th, 1901(provided by Southerland).



Although no exact information was found in the 1940 Federal Census about the birth of Lockerman, information was found about a man who could have been his father. In the records, there is a Lockerman listed, a 66-year-old black male, with a four year old son named Henry plus three other children. All are listed as "free individuals." If this information is correct, then the birth given by Lockerman is not correct. 

There is also a hand written account of Lockerman's marriage to Lottie Stover, a 24-year-old Omaha, Nebraska resident. Lockerman was also 24 at the time of the marriage. Ben Sheeks was the probate judge and there were three witness to the marriage on October 21st, 1867. 

In the 1880 census, information is found on Lockerman as a 39-year-old black male barber in Grantsville, Nevada. He is however, single and unemployed. Then, in the 1900 census, Lockerman now lives in Silver City, Nevada as a barber. It is listed that his partner is the head of the household, Alonxx A. Smith is a 79-year-old white widower (Southerland).
 

 

1 comment:

  1. The Lockermans were well known to my father's family; Henry's sister is buried in Mentor, Ohio, in the Youmans family plot. My grandfather used to travel into Cleveland to visit his "aunt". My aunt has letters from her in her possession, including ones from when she was visiting her brother in California. You can reach me at suddenlypress@yahoo.com.
    Brian Youmans, Arlington, MA

    ReplyDelete